April 15, 2020
In order to best guide my patients and provide accurate information regarding Covid 19 (and viral infections in general), I have been reading research and scholarly articles from peer reviewed and science based sources. In my reading I came upon a newsletter with a terrific description of viruses (specifically Covid 19) and how to protect from viral infection, written by Dr. Patricio Avendaño, a cardiologist at University of Chile:
* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipids (fat) that, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or oral mucosa, alters its genetic code. The virus mutates and transforms these cells into aggressive and multiplying cells.
* Since the virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material it is in.
* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best medicine because the foam CUTS grease (that is why you need to rub so much for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). When the fat layer dissolves, the protein molecule disperses and decomposes on its own.
* HEAT melts fat, which is why it is so good to use water above 75 degrees to wash your hands, clothes, and everything. In addition, hot water produces more foam and I have already told you why it is good.
* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol above 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the outer lipid layer of the virus.
* Any mixture with 1 part of bleach and 5 parts of water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down inside.
* Hydrogen peroxide helps a lot after soap, alcohol and chlorine because the peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but it must be used purely and it hurts the skin.
* BACTERICIDES don’t work. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; they cannot kill what is not alive with antibiotics, but they quickly disintegrate their structure with everything I told you.
* NEVER shake used clothes, sheets or cloths. When attached to a porous surface, the viral particle is very inert and disintegrates between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all moisture and does not let it peel and disintegrate up), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic). But if you shake clothes out, virus molecules are dispersed into the air where then can be taken into the mucous membranes of your nose or mouth.